Hair Transplantin India
As per a survey report of American Hair Loss Association, around two-thirds men start losing hair by the age of 35. Moreover, around 85% of men crossing the age of 50 suffer from severe hair thinning issues.This problem is not confined to men alone since 40% of hair loss victims are women. They are likely to develop pattern hair loss as they near 50 around menopause. It is unfortunate that 3% of children have hair loss issues like bald spots and thinning. We are increasingly observing this problem in India, and studies have revealed that late teens are also reporting androgenetic baldness, which is a concern socially as well as emotionally.
Recently, a study regarding hair fall conducted in Chennai, India, among males between 18-50 years of age revealed some vital facts. As per a survey, baldness remained one of the main stated problems of the city’s male population with 50.4% suffering from androgenetic alopecia. If that were not enough, 60.4% of Chennai population reported to have hair fall. 59% resorted to medications and creams as treatment to combat their hair loss. Likewise, 55.5% preferred hair transplantation as the best option to get over with this problem. Indeed, the latter alternative is the most preferred today by patients and doctors in India alike as is seen across the globe. We will discuss this later, but before that let’s scrutinize the reasons behind hair fall.
The probable causes behind Hair fall
There could be a multitude of reasons behind hair fall among the patients in India. Here are the most probable ones:
- Lifestyle: If you are having irregular sleeping habits, have a stressful life, or do not workout, all these factors could affect your hair health adversely. Ironically, all these adverse habits are quite common in a country like India.
- Watch what you eat: To keep your hair in perfect condition, proper nourishment is necessary. If your diet lags behind in protein, iron and vitamins, it could influence the growth rate of follicles adversely. Perhaps visiting a hair loss clinic and consulting the doctor in person could help you in this respect.
- Genes matter:Hair loss commonly results due to your genetic condition. It could be due to your race or your hormones. Generally, Europeans are more prone to baldness followed by Asians (Including those in India) and Africans, in that order. Likewise, family genes could also cause baldness.
- Aging: Aging beyond 45 causes hair loss. Senility is a significant cause of hair loss after 70s
Mostly, a combination of genetics, hormonal changes and senility altogether lead to hair loss. So is there any treatment for this problem in India, or is it usual for people to surrender to hair fall and later baldness? Of course yes, and hair transplant surgery from a trustworthy clinic like Darling Buds is the only viable natural answer.
Is hair transplant the best remedy?
In India, like in almost any other part of the world, people try different modes to cure their hair fall. They may use medications like DHT blockers (Propecia/ Finasteride), shampoos (Ketaconazole), supplements, etc. The utility of most is ambiguous. This is where hair transplant procedure comes to the fore. Indeed, this surgical hair restoration method is the best remedy to tackle baldness.
What is Hair transplant?
Hair transplant involves surgically relocating hair follicles from a fertile zone or ‘permanent donor zone’ of the scalp (mostly side or back) to the bald area or ‘recipient site’ (hairline, vertex and crown). A plastic surgeon or a dermatologist performs this surgery under local anesthesia. FUT is the traditional technique, earlier considered as the Gold Standard or Holy Grail of surgical hair restoration.FUE hair transplant is a minimally invasive procedure,which requires the doctor to shift slender grafts using small punches to recipient areas.Today, the doctors in a hair clinic use only micro grafts comprising 1-4 hairs to give naturalness and avoid the pluggy doll’s head look of yore. The selection of procedure depends upon the skills of your surgeon. If properly done, neither of the two hair transplant methods have any significant side effect. However, patients are increasingly concerned about the visible scar of FUT with contemporary short hairstyles and for other reasons as well..
The hair transplant procedure
The surgeon starts performinghair transplant surgery by counseling, hairline design and blood tests followed by cleaning the donor site of the scalp. The patient has already opted for one of the two primary methods – follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE). The latter is opted for in more than 96.5 % patients today.
The steps of FUT treatment in India are as follows:
- The surgeon cuts a strip of scalp from the rear potion of the head, which may range to several inches in length and half an inch wide.
- He stiches the raw wound edges with sutures in layers.
- The surgeon then divides the portion of scalp thus removed into small parts with the help of surgical knife and microscope. The steps of slivering and graft cutting is an ex vivo technique and is done under good magnification by technicians.
- These grafts when transplanted to the bald areas will lead to hair growth that appears very natural if the procedure is done as it should be.
The steps of FUE treatment are as follows:
As the name suggests, this hair transplant surgery requires direct extraction of hair follicles from the back of the head through many small punch incisions.
- The plastic surgeon removes the hair from the recipient site directly.
- He creates small holes (slits) in the donor site of the scalp using a needle or a blade and places the extracted hair in these tiny holes in natural direction.
- The surgeon may transplant 1-4 thousand grafts during one session of FUE treatment
- Next, he covers the donor scalp with bandage.
Both these treatment methods take around 6-10 hours to complete one session. Moreover, there should be a gap of several months between each session so that every transplant could heal in entirety. As for the stitches, the surgeon removes them usually within 10 days of FUT hair transplant surgery. FUE does not involve any stitches since it is minimally invasive in nature. Very few doctors around the world offer FUT today. FUT is today discussed on websites merely for information and SEO constraints alone (LOL!).
Are you the best candidate for hair transplant?
Undoubtedly, Hair transplant is the best and long lasting solution for baldness in India and across the world. But before opting for this surgery, you need to be sure if you are a suitable candidate for the treatment.
- Are you older than 25 years?
For youngsters below 25 years of age, the pattern of hair loss is not very clear. Moreover, a surgery in young age will compel one to get many more procedures in future in future to keep pace with the loss pattern and maintain the coverage area. And this may not always be possible if hair loss occurs so early. Hence, surgeons in India suggest such young people to follow other non-surgical techniques to control hair loss problems. Hair transplant should never be offered as the first line of treatment in this age group.
- Is your scalp very tight?
Too much tight scalp could often cause problems for the surgeons to extract and transplant the follicles in FUT technique. This is not a limitation for FUE hair transplant.
- Your hair color matters
If the color of your hair and skin is the same, then you are the best hair restoration candidate. In addition, it is even better to have curly hair, which is usual among some people in South India. Such hair type will ensure better coverage and require least transplantation. Sounds interesting, isn’t it?
- Areyou healthy enough?
For any kind of surgery, complete medical check-up in a trusted clinic is necessary to know your existing health condition. The same holds for hair transplantation in India as well. You need to mention even minor health problems to your treating doctor before the procedure. Moreover, if you have an existing heart problem, diabetes, or are under blood thinning treatment, you need to undergo a selective treatment plan before opting for hair transplant surgery.
If you are still wondering whether you would be a suitable candidate for hair transplant procedure, feel free to approach our clinic in Chandigarh, India
The after-effects and the possible medication
If you have minimal pain, inflammation or swelling, the doctor will administer certain pain or anti-inflammatory medications and antibiotics. You would notice hair fall or shedding within 2-3 weeks after the treatment, as this would give way to the growth of new hair from the root underneath. It may however take around 8 months to oneyear after the hair transplant treatment for new hair to grow on your scalp. For enhanced hair growth and slow or no shedding, doctors in India often recommend certain medicines like minoxidil (Rogaine), finasteride (Propecia), etc.
Are there any hair transplant side effects?
You may come across minor hair transplant side effects after the hair transplantation, which will recede within a few weeks, typically 6. Some of these may include:
- Tightness of scalp
- Mild eruptions which subside soon.
- Scalp Swelling
- Bruising around eyes
Besides, you could also encounter several other possible complications like:
- Numbness on the treated portions of your scalp
- Folliculitis or the inflammation of hair follicles
- Temporary loss of implanted hair
- Formation of crust on donor or recipient site
Cost of hair transplant
A premier hair clinic in India and around the world would make sure to offer the best hair transplant treatments; the difference lies in the cost. Until few years back, Turkey was a widely preferred hub due to the affordable hair transplant cost its surgeons asked for. As compared to major locations of the world like Dubai, London or America, Turkey offered budget friendly hair transplantation treatment. Thankfully, with many seasoned surgeons now operating in India, the focus of patients has shifted to this country.
No wonder, the treatment here is more cost-effective than elsewhere in the world. On an estimate, you can undergo the treatment at around 30-100 INR per graft in India, depending on the reputation of the concerned hair restoration clinic and the equipment they use. Their consultation charges may also vary between 500-1200 INR or more. Any such clinic may also provide EMI facility to manage the expenses of your hair transplant procedure.
Hair transplant is becoming the need of the hour for those with balding in India and elsewhere. Owing to numerous factors like environmental and dietary issues, genetics, hormonal imbalances or aging, hair loss is becoming a universal problem. Are you balding or thinning, and seeking a hair restoration surgery with a seasoned trustworthy hair loss and hair transplant expert? If yes, you may know that we are considered one of the best hair transplant surgeon clinics in India.
Latest From Blog
- Hair Transplant Ugly Duckling Phase – Everything you need to know The 'Ugly Duckling' phase of surgical hair restoration is a euphemism for that period of the timeline of hair transplant result when it is in the healing phase of hair transplant when the crusts are present and they give an unkempt look and also when after they shed, the phase of shedding of graft hairs and later the shock loss… More
- Timeline of hair regrowth after hair transplant – What to expect! Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and is linked to emotions and very often the patient would want to know how long it will take his grafts to grow and he will see a result. Patients are mostly impatient and for a reason. After a period of shedding that starts after 7days after the procedure and continues till 4-6 weeks,… More
- When not to get a Beard hair transplant A beard is in fashion today and since a hair transplant procedure has made it possible for everyone to grow a beard, these procedures are in demand. There are many circumstances in which a request for a beard hair transplant should be discouraged. These are instances when a beard hair transplant should never be done. A young boy of… More