Proper hair care can give you fabulous, shining, thick, beautiful, gorgeous and dandruff free hair.
- Oiling hair regularly will prevent various hair problems.
- Trim the split-ends of the hair regularly.
- Do not over brush your hair.
- Brush your hair regularly with a good quality hairbrush/comb. Use a broad toothed comb brush on wet hair. Wash your brush or comb regularly with soap or shampoo.
- Avoid the use of other’s comb. Always clean your comb.
- Do not use very hot air for drying wet hair. Avoid over-exposure to the sun.
- If you color your hair, try to organic dyes such as henna(mehndi)or coffee and avoid non-organic dyes like peroxides.
- Vitamins for healthy hair
You can try some specific vitamins to keep your hair healthy as given below.
- The B-Complex vitamins and Antioxidants for healthy hair. A deficiency in vitamins B2, B6 or biotin may cause hair loss. Inositol helps hair growth.
- Vitamin C and E help circulation in scalp.
- Sulfur is good for hair growth.
- Beta Carotene for shining hair.
Hair Care Myths
There are many advises about hair care that appear to be sound and worth to try, but actually they are nothing but myths. Following are some hair care tips that are supposed to be true but are only myths.
- Myth: Trim your hair to frequently to grow them faster and denser. Whether you trim your hair or not, they grow half an inch every 4 weeks. Trimming split hair ends improves the look of your hair.
- Myth: Stress is the main cause of hair loss
- Myth: Plucking out grey hair will grow more grey haid
We daily lose about 100 hairs daily even in the absense of stress. However, you may lose more than this, if you are very stressed.
Plucking grey hair may damage hair follicles and lead to infection on the scalp. But there is no connection between plucking and greying hair.
Hair Care Recipes
- Olive Oil Hair Mask or Pack
- Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask -1
- Beautiful Gorgeous Hair Mask -2
Mix 5 tablespoon of olive oil with 2 eggs. Apply thoroughly to hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap or a shower cap. After 15 minutes rinse well.
Mix 2 tablespoon honey with 3 tablespoon olive oil. Apply thoroughly to hair. Cover hair with plastic wrap or a shower cap. After 15 minutes shampoo and rinse well.
After you shampoo your hair, pour 1 cup fresh lemon juice or vinegar through hair and massage and rinse with water. Apply your usual conditioner and wash with water. It will remove all the dirt and your hair will be shine sparkling. Do not repeat this method before 2 weeks.
4. Beautiful Gorgeous Hair Mask
Grind fenugreek (methi) seeds soaked in water overnight. Massage this paste on scalp and hair and leave it for15-20 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo. This paste is good for all types of hair problems, viz. dandruffs, falling hair, thinning of hair, baldness, split hair, etc.
Make a hair pack by mixing one egg yolk, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp black gram flour in 1 cup yogurt and apply to your hair. Wash after 4 hours. Whenever possible, try to use an herbal organic shampoo.
5. Hair Rinse for soft and shiny hair
Mix 1 Tbsp of following herbs with enough boiling water and let it stand for 1/2 an hour. Add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and mix well. Shampoo your hair. Pour mixture over hair repeatedly. Vinegar will seal the hair cuticle.
Use the herbs as following:
For hair general care: rosemary leaves, nettle, burdock root, elder flowers
For dry hair: chamomile flowers, comfrey root, nettle, elder flowers
For oily hair: lemon peel, peppermint, lemongrass
6. To Grow Long Hair
Grind black pepper and lemon seeds in equal amounts and make a paste in water and apply on your hair and scalp. Wash after 15 minutes with cold water.
7. For Shining Hair
Mix juice of one fresh orange, water, 1 tablespoon Honey and a few drops (5-7) of sandalwood oil. Use as an after-shampoo rinse.
Beat two eggs in a tablespoon of milk and apply on your hair. Rinse your hair after 5-7 minutes to get an instant shining.
Add a 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in water and rinse your hair.
8. For Damaged Hair
Mash a ripe banana with a few drops of almond oil and massage into hair. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Rinse with soda water and then shampoo and condition.
9. Falling Hair, Hair Loss
Rub Indian gooseberry (Amla) into the scalp regularly. It can show wonderful results, it will stop hair falling.
Eat a protein rich diet including green leafy vegetables, carrots, mango, dried apricots, whole grain cereals, sprouts, lentils in the daily diet for the hair loss and falling hair.
10. For Split End Hair
Split ends in hair are caused when they are damaged by strong shampoo or heat from hair dryer. Following are some cures for split hair.
- Make a pack by beating 1 egg yolk in a mixture of 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey. Massage on hair in thoroughly and then wrap head with shower cap for half an hour Wash.
- Massage hair and scalp with warm olive oil and wrap head with shower cap and leave for overnight or for 8-10 hours Wash.
- A papaya pack is a great natural care of hair split end. Remove the skin and the seeds of a ripe papaya and blend it in a blender. Add to it half a cup of yogurt and apply thoroughly to your scalp and hair. Wash after 30 minutes with warm water.
- Grind half a cup of urad dal (black lentil) with 1 Tbsp of fenugreek (methi) seeds to a coarse powder. Add half a cup of yogurt and mix well. Apply generously all over the scalp. apply thoroughly to your scalp and hair. Wash after 2-3 hours with warm water.
- Oil your hair twice a week with coconut oil mixed with fresh lime juice.
- It is always better to keep the split end trimmed, otherwise, they may split further up the hair.
- Frizzy Hair
- Greasy Hair
- Drink lot of water, about 8-10 glasses daily. Avoid drinks such as juices, coca cola, coffee, etc.
- Massage your hair and scalp with oil like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil. This will prevent the loss of water.
- Do not shampoo your hair more than 2 times a week to prevent dryness.
- Condition your hair with a hair conditioner with natural ingredients. This will prevent hair breaking and split ends.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey in half cup of full cream milk. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo.
- Combine 1 banana, 1 egg, 1/4 cup honey, about 3 Tbs of milk and about 5 Tbs spoons of olive oil. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo.
- Zinc and essential fatty acids (pumpkin seeds, nuts, vegetable oils) are good for dry hair. Eating the foods rich in zinc help.
- Hair Rinse for dry hair
You can alternately do the following:
Take 1/2 cup olive oil in 1/2 cup boiling water in a bottle and put its cap. Shake the bottle vigor sly. Massage thoroughly in hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave for 1/2 hour, then wash. Take care of your hands and head because the water is hot.
Make an after-shampoo rinse by mixing one table spoon of honey to a liter of water. Use it after every hair wash with your usual shampoo.
Greasy hair are mainly due to becoming sebaceous glands overactive. You should avoid too much brushing of hair. Wash your hair frequently with a nourishing shampoo.
Dry Hair Remedy
Read below to treat your dry hair.
Mix 1 Tbsp of a herb (either of chamomile flowers, comfrey root, nettle, elder flowers) with boiling water and let it stand for 1/2 an hour. Add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and mix well. Shampoo your hair with this liquid.